Did this sometime back… Was really craving for shepherd’s pie, and you probably can’t get this cheaply outside anway.. #brokegirl
Quite similar to how I used to make my lagsagna (note: used to. Ain’t no time for that now. It takes too long to bake..), just replaced the pasta sheet with mash and it’s done!)
Lacking some parmesan though.. Used to get them at 1.99 from Cold Storage but
- cold storage moved away, they don’t have it near my place anymore
- NTUC sells them at really high prices.
So I’ll do without then… Some simple ingredients I had lying around in the kitchen, so why not save myself the $ and just make it myself. It’s fun to do so anyway 🙂
- 4 large US Russet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 500g minced meat
- 1 can of button mushrooms
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 1 canned of tomato pasta sauce
- 1/2 cube of instant stock
- 2.5 cup of water
- Some butter
- Some milk
- Some sliced cheddar
- sautee the garlic and onions in a pot. (Recommend that you fry the onion without the oil to dry it a little first to avoid oil splashes)
- add in the mushrooms and minced meat and fry till fragrant
- add in the stock, 1cup of water and pasta sauce and let it simmer. (I wanted to have extras so that I could double it as pasta sauce for the next meal. You can reduce the amount of water you put into it if you don’t want to have leftovers)
- in the meantime, pop the diced potatoes and 1.5cups of water into a container. Make sure your water is able to cover the potatoes. Cover the container and pop it into the microwave for about 6-10mins. Pop it out for a quick stir to even the heating every 1.5-2.5mins. Your potatoes should be entirely ripe before you stop the process and let it cool.
- You don’t have to drain it. Just mash the potatoes with the water. You don’t have to add so much butter to make it smoother then. Season as you go along, I added milk, butter, sliced cheddar and some salt and pepper to taste.
- Fill about 1/3 of your alu-foil tray with some meat/mushroom/onion and the rest with mash potatoes. If you want, you can add your parmesan on top before baking.
- Pop the trays into the oven and bake for about 5mins at 230°C and it’s ready to be served.
Happy eating 🙂