Next CNY goodie on the list, Kuay Buhulu.
4 small eggs
120g fine sugar
130g plain flour/cake flour
1/2tsp double acting baking powder
1/2tsp vanilla essence
small amount of oil to grease the pan
1/2 tsp rice flour
1tsp orange zest (for orange flavor, if you wanna)
1. Beat the eggs and sugar until it is fluffy. (You can see the lines in the mixture when it’s mixing. The egg mixture will quadruple in volume.)
2. Add in the vanilla essence
3. Add in sieved flour and baking powder into the egg mixture in 3 parts. Recommended to fold it in, but I let the beater continue running at low speed instead
4. Add in your orange zest at this point if you want some orange flavored kuey buhulu
5. Pour the batter into the greased molds, 3/4 to 4/5 full.
6. Back in preheated the oven at 200°C for 15mins. You will see that the kuey buhulu rises to a certain height. It will shrink back to look like our usual store-bought kuey buhulu once it cools.
Easy peasy. You’re probably done with everything in 30mins tops. Enjoy! 🙂