I had expiring cream cheese sitting in the fridge. I also had a pack of mixed chese (Cheddar and Mozzarella) and somehow it seemed like a good idea to marry the two.
So here we went.
Recipe adapted fromieatishootipost.
250g cream cheese
6 egg yolks
70g castor sugar
100 ml full cream milk
1 Tbsp. lemon juice
1 tsp lemon zest (or lemon essence) (optional)
60g cake flour
1/4 tsp salt
2 tsp Vanilla extract
6 egg whites
1/4 tsp cream of tartar
70g castor sugar
1 pack of $2.99 mixed cheese from Cold Storage.
1. Pre-heat oven to 200°C (Top and bottom heat, no fan force)
2. Line a cake pan with baking paper
3. Whisk cream cheese till smooth over a warm water bath
4. Add yolks and whisk
5. Add half the sugar (70g) and whisk
6. Warm milk and butter in microwave or stove, whisk into batter
7. Add vanilla, salt, lemon juice, lemon zest and whisk
8. Remove from water bath, sift flour and fold into mixture
9. Whisk whites till foamy
10. Add cream of tartar and beat at high speed till bubbles become very small but still visible
11. Gradually add sugar and beat till just before soft peaks
12. Fold whites into batter 1/3 at a time
13. Pour into cake pan and tap the pan on the counter to release air bubbles.
14. Add some mixed cheese on top of the cake. (Be careful not to add too much, else the oil from the cheese wil sink to the bottom, making the lower portion of the cheesecake oily and soggy.)
15. Bake on the bottommost rack in a preheated 200 degree C oven for 18min, lower to 160 degree C for 12 mins and turn off the oven
16. Leave cake in the closed oven for 30mins.
17. Open the door of the oven slightly at the end of the baking for 10mins for cake to cool.