It’s a colleague/friend’s birthday this Saturday. Decided to experiment with a new cake – Green Tea Sponge. I might top it with green tea whipped cream.
Anywhos, recipe adapted from mywoklife.
200 grams of sponge cake premix (Optima Ready Mix from Bake King brand)
3 large eggs
1 teaspoon of milk powder and about 1 tablespoon of water (you can replace it with like 15ml of milk)
10 gram of butter
1 teaspoon of ovalette
15 grams of green tea powder
100grams of sugar
200ml of whipping cream/heavy cream
1 tbsp lemon juice
2 tbsp sugar
1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
1) Beat the eggs and sugar till it’s fluffy.
2) Mix cake premix flour, butter, milk , and eggs into large mixing bowl.
3) Pre-heat oven for 10 minutes, set temperature to 180°C.
3) Line a sheet of grease-proof paper evenly on a 8” square or round baking pan. Pour in cake mixture.
4) Place baking pan at centre rack. Bake for 35-40 min using 180°C (top and bottom heat on), or until toothpick inserted in the centre comes out completely clean.
5) Allow cake to cool on wire rack, for about an hour.
6) When cake is completely cooled, slice it into 2 layers, using bread knife.
7) For cream: Beat the cream and sugar together. When there are bubbles, add the lemon juice and lemon peel and continue beating till stiff peaks.
8) Add a spoonful of cream to the first layer of cake and spread it out evenly.
9) Top another layer of cake. Spread another half amount of whipped cream just on top or covering the whole cake.
10) If you’d like, you can add some to the sides (like I did) and spread it out evenly. This is to keep the cake moist and let it absorb some of the lemony flavor.
11) Chill decorated cake in the refrigerator till ready to serve.