Poke bowl cravings today, I recall a friend posting her poke bowl on Instagram recently. Also, it’s a bright and sunny day so the malls are crowded. Not ideal for wanting to order in or get something out.
Black, brown and white sushi rice, tamale, oyster mushroom with onions, corn, crab stick, shredded cucumber, black pepper beef, seaweed and some spring onions.
1/4 cup black rice
1/4 cup brown/red rice
1/2 cup white sushi rice
1.5 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar
pinch of salt and sugar to taste
1. cook the rice in the cooker as per normal
2. add the apple cider vinegar, salt and sugar and mix the rice to taste.
3. set aside in rice cooker to keep it warm until all the components are ready to be assembled
Tamago (Japanese Eggs)
Recipe adapted from allrecipes.
1 tablespoon dashi
1 teaspoon soy sauce
1 tablespoon mirin/mirin substitute (1 tablespoon of white wine, 1 teaspoon of sugar)
1. beat the eggs and the sauces together
2. Grease a non-stick tamago pan, pour half the egg mixture into the pan
3. When egg layer is firm on the bottom but still slightly liquid on top, lift up about 1 inch of the edge of the omelet with a spatula and fold end over remaining egg layer; continue rolling the omelet to the end and push the roll to the edge of the skillet.
4. Oil the skillet again if it looks dry; pour another thin layer of egg into the skillet and lift the roll to let the egg flow underneath the omelet roll. Fold the omelet roll over the new layer of egg, continuing to roll to the end as before.
5. Continue with layers until you get a 1.5inch thick slab of tamago. Set aside and let it cool.
Oyster Mushroom with onions
4 oyster mushroom
handful of chopped onions (you can just grab a few from the beef stash)
1 teaspoon dashi
1. Pour some oil onto a pan, drop the onions in
2. When the onions are fragrant, put in the oyster mushroom and fry until cooked
3. before serving, add the dashi to give the mushrooms more flavour
4. Set aside to cool and move on to the next item on your poke bowl 🙂
Corn & Crabstick
I used frozen corn kernels and crab stick, popped them into the microwave until they are soft.
Crabstick has to be cut slightly and shredded so they will not be clumped together
Black Pepper Beef
200g beef cubes/beef stripes
1 medium sized onion, chopped
2 tablespoon black pepper sauce
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 teaspoon dashipinch of salt
1. Pour oil into pan and fry onions until fragrant
2. Put in the beef and fry until they are partially cooked
3. Add in the black pepper sauce, the other condiments until the beef cooks
4. Set aside to assemble your poke bowl 🙂
Assemble them all and you’ve got your nutritious poke bowl 🙂