Minced Meat Noodle, or Bak Chor Mee, (rou cuo mian / 肉脞面) is a local Singaporean food that you can practically get at any kopitiam/food court/food centre. It is easy to put together, but this braised mushroom is the one that gives the dish its oomph.
Recipe adapted from rasamalaysia’s japanese braised mushroom as I could only find fresh shiitake mushroom here, but they are totally different dishes.
- 3 tablespoon white wine
- 2 tablespoons dark soy sauce
- a splash of fish sauce
- 2 teaspoon sugar/molasses
- 6-10 fresh shiitake mushrooms, washed and sliced
- 1 teaspoon oil
- 1 chopped garlic
- fry the garlic in oil in a small skillet until garlic turns golden yellow
- add in the shiitake mushroom and fry it for a little bit
- add in the sauces, molasses/sugar and white wine and let the mushroom simmer in the sauce. The sauce will thicken.
- Let the mushroom sit in the sauce until you are ready to assemble your bak chor mee.
Can’t wait for dinner in a bit! Heh.
//edit. Dinner is served. Yummm!